Monday, September 9, 2013

Thread/String/Yarn


For my first piece I had a round piece of glass and wrapped some yellow and orange yarn around it in a criss crossed pattern. It reminded me of a ray of sunshine. Not only did I like the effect on the glass, but I liked how it threw a shadow onto the paper. 



I thought it would be a good idea if the yarn represented another type of object and I chose to make drinks with it. A glass of water, lemonade, and a shot of whiskey. I chose these drinks specifically because they match my tablecloth.



In my art history classes we are always discussing the gaze of the female and I decided to bring together some of prominent examples and bind them together using fishing line. I used fishing line because it is clear and the relationship between the viewer and the subject is also invisible. 





I thought back to our assignment on body marks and how many decided to make the body their canvas. I applied this concept by wrapping yarn around my foot and making a sandal for myself. Albeit a poor one, but it was comfortable all the same. 



This is the first letter that a friend of mine wrote me when he was deployed into Kosovo, Europe. It's a year ago that I got that letter and we are no longer friends. I decided it was time to put an old memory away so I sewed it shut with red thread. 



I was reminded a lot of spiderwebs and cobwebs when I made this piece. I took the photograph in low lighting to give it an eerie effect. 


Usually when learning how to draw you begin with a grid system. I decided to skip a step by already putting the grid on the mirror. 


I was looking at this DVD contemplating procrastination when the light hit it and created this rainbow on the disc. I thought it resembled a multi-colored yarn I had to I wrapped half the DVD in the yarn that matched. 









No comments:

Post a Comment